- 1 Heilala Vanilla Bean or 1 teaspoon Heilala Vanilla Powder
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 duck legs
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or similar
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash, about 2cm dice
- 400g can tomatoes, drained and cut into pieces
- 500ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 320⁰F.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean, then cut the bean into 1 inch pieces.
- Combine the vanilla seeds and curry powder and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Rub mixture into the duck legs. Heat a frying pan over a low heat, add the oil, onions and garlic. Cook gently for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Place in a casserole dish. Increase the heat and brown the duck legs on both sides. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the diced butternut, tomatoes, hot stock and vanilla bean pieces. Place in the oven and cook for 2 hours until the meat starts to pull away from the bone. Remove the lid from the casserole dish, ½ an hour before the end of cooking to reduce the sauce or make a butter and flour paste and whisk into the hot sauce at the end of cooking.