- Combine the powdered sugar and cornstarch and set aside. This is your “Marshmallow Dust”. Grease an 8” (20cm) square pan with butter or baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the cold water and gelatine. Mix well with a fork, and leave to bloom while you prepare the sugar syrup.
- In a medium pot, combine the corn syrup or honey, water and sugar. Heat over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally. Heat until the syrup reaches 240°f/120°c, then remove from the heat and leave to cool to 210°f/100°c.
- Turn the mixer to medium, and mix for a few seconds to help break up the bloomed gelatin. With the mixer running, very carefully pour the hot sugar syrup into the mixer. Turn the speed up to high, and whip for 2-3 minutes. Add the Heilala Peppermint Extract and whip for a further 5-7 minutes, until the marshmallow has doubled in volume, has turned white, and holds somewhat of a peak when you stop the mixer and lift out the whisk.
- Working quickly, scrape the marshmallow into prepared tin using a lightly oiled rubber spatula. Smooth the surface using an oiled offset spatula, or back of a spoon. Use wet fingers to help the smoothing process if needed. Dust liberally with the marshmallow dust. Allow to cure for 3-4 hours.
- Carefully turn out onto a board, and dust the entire surface with powdered sugar and cornstarch mix. Cut into squares of your desired size using a sharp knife dusted in the marshmallow dust. I like cutting them into giant squares for the hot chocolate, but you can cut them whatever size you like — if you would like shaped marshmallows, dust a cutter in the marshmallow dust before using. Marshmallows will keep for up to a month at room temperature in an airtight container.
Ganache Hot Chocolate
- Place the chopped chocolate into a medium heat-proof bowl. Place the cream, salt, and Heilala Vanilla Bean Paste in a medium saucepan. Warm the cream mixture, stirring occasionally, until it has begun to have movement around the edges of the cream, but has not come to a boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate, and place a plate over the bowl.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then remove the plate and whisk well to incorporate the cream into the chocolate. Pour into mugs and top with a marshmallow. Alternatively, pour the mixture into a large airtight jar and store in the fridge. Re-warm gently over low heat in a small saucepan before serving.