Vanilla Bean Custard
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and custard powder. Add the egg yolks and whisk until combined.
- In a medium pot, warm the milk, Heilala Vanilla Bean Paste and salt until there is movement just around the edges of the milk — do not bring it to the boil.
- Remove the milk from the heat, and, whisking constantly, add half of the milk mixture into the egg and custard mixture to temper the egg yolks. Whisk briskly for 30 seconds. Transfer the milk-yolk mixture back to the pot, and return to a medium heat. Whisk constantly until very thick.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, mixing well until totally combined. Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Transfer to an airtight container and press a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface. Refrigerate until completely chilled, ideally overnight.
- Place the milk, sugar, and yeast in a medium bowl, and stir to combine. Leave for 10-15 minutes, or until foamy.
- Place the flour, vanilla bean paste, salt, eggs, and butter in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Add the yeast and milk mixture, and mix on low until the dough comes together.
- Increase the mixer speed and mix on medium for 8-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and pulling away from the edges of the bowl.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, shape into a ball, and then lightly grease either the mixing bowl, or a large bowl, and place the ball of dough in it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to rise overnight in the fridge.
- Lightly grease two muffin pans with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Briefly whisk the custard to remove any lumps. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into a rectangle 12” x 28” (30cm x 71cm).
- Spread the cooled custard evenly over the surface of the dough using an offset spatula.
- Starting at a long end, roll the dough up into a tight spiral log. Trim the ends and cut into 2” (5cm) pieces using a sharp knife. Place each piece into a cavity in the muffin pan — leave a muffin pan cavity between as many rolls as you can to help them get even heat on all sides when baking.
- Lightly cover the muffin pan with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 to 45 minutes. While the buns are rising, preheat the oven to 350°f/180°c. Once the buns are risen, bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan once to ensure even browning.
- Remove the baked buns from the oven, and allow to stand for 10 minutes, then remove from the muffin tin. Brush each all over with melted butter, then roll in the Heilala Vanilla Sugar.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container.